Monday, November 27, 2006

"The computer has just killed the engine..."

This is the strangest internet cafe I have ever been in. It is dark and the lighting is restricted to a few dim uplighters and the sign behind the desk that says 'STARZONE'. The computers are very large and the chairs are those red leather monsters that adjust at every possible junction and swing wildly when you sit down. There is raised bank of monitors on the far wall and the sum effect is that of the base for an underground spy ring. The keyboard is illuminated only by the light of the computer screen. It is cool down here, off the street and away from the crowds. Too hot today, and sunny again after two days of overcast rainclouds that threatened but never broke. I miss the rain and the fog and the wind.

This, then, is Sydney, by route of the worst Greyhound so far. We were only about twenty minutes out of Coffs Harbour when it broke down, cruising at 90kmph when the engine cut out and the driver coasted into the side of the road. "Not to worry!" he called into the back, "the computer has just killed the engine." Not to worry?! Quite frankly, I'm not sure I've ever been as worried as I was after this statement. Had he just made a sweeping precis of technological progress for all of Western society? The Matrix? Self-awareness? A microchip assassin, by means of a foreign hacker? HAL 2000? It turns out the onboard computer has some mechanical cut-off switch. If the computer goes, so does the engine and this is a regular occurrence. No-one else seemed very worried. Being broken down for a few hours means being stationery and therefore actually getting some sleep. Sleeping in the bus seats is all but impossible. A yoga master would struggle. Looking back along the aisle, a series of heads, hands and legs spill across the armrests at strange and distorted angles. No-one gets much rest. I curled across both seats with my head on the armrest and my legs wedged under the chair in front. It did little good. Arriving into Sydney Central the next morning in fug of grey confusion, I collected my rucksack and simply walked for a little while. When the cobwebs were gone, I got out the map in Lonely Planet, growled, turned around and walked directly back to Central.

After the spaghetti map of the London Underground the Sydney system is a cinch. I took the doubledecker tube to Kings Cross (I know!) and started my week at Eva's Backpackers. It is expensive and four-fifths full of hearty Germans who all seem to know each other but breakfast is free and the showers are hot. In the last two days I have been climbing, badly, wandered around Paddy's Markets where porters try to hit you in the ankles with their blue trolleys, gone to the opera house, the botanical gardens, the art gallery, the gallery of contemporary art, Taronga zoo and the movies. At the opera house they were frantically preparing for the Australian Idol final. Strolling casually through the outdoor-media-event-mayhem that I know so well, I spotted a Jimmy Jib and felt some peculiar twinges. It took me a nervous moment to work out that this was from familiarity rather than nostalgia.


Taken while walking in the Rocks.

The zoo was generally quite good. They have an extensive breeding program of endangered animals which is the only justification for zoos, ever: they have two of the last thirty Sumatran Tigers in the world. On the other hand, the newly acquired sun bears were pacing back and forward in miserable laps. It's always a weird one. The echidnas seemed happy enough, and I'm always pleased to come across a new animal - the fishing cat is a large cat that catches fish. They also had the marsupial carnivore, the aptly-named spotted-tailed quoll, and bored chimpanzees chasing a lizard into the concrete moat. There is a pen full of kangaroos who were sitting around in the manner of dejected winos outside national banks. Broken. But then the turtles with cracked and damaged shells, repaired with fibreglass until they heal. Zoos always leave me feeling mixed up. Taronga also had one of the few undrugged koala bears in the country. It's a little known fact that koalas are actually omniverous - that the vast majority eat gum leaves and become stoned only adds to their appeal for the tourist market. When the toxins have been flushed from the gut, a koala can become extremely vicious. If there is no eucalyptus available they crave meat and in desperate times have been known to attack bushrangers and tourists. Like I say, this is not at all common, and the Australian media keep it quiet when these attacks do happen; in Taronga this adult female was perfectly disguised within the bamboo enclosure. You could see the bloody carcass of some small rodent spread out against the back corner of the cage. Only when a small child got too close to the window did it drop from the mesh ceiling and slam against the plateglass with a peculiar yowling noise. Flecks of saliva sprayed against the window. The child screamed and spun away while the koala continued to snarl and scratch. Yelling, the father dragged his daughter away and just as quickly the bear dropped back down and disappeared into the long grass.


Does anyone find this as depressing as I do?

I have seen more films at the cinema since being in Australia than in recent times in London. I saw Children Of Man in Brisbane, and the ending was a cheat. It's otherwise pretty good, though it has been classed in totally the wrong genre... you can't show armed police openly beating Asians on the streets on London and claim to have made a dystopian sci-fi. In Coffs Harbour I saw The Prestige, which is so obviously riddled with twists that it's hard not to see them coming - young Chris Nolan, already hoist by his own petard... I don't actually know what that phrase means, and hopefully I'll never find out. And last night I saw the second Jackass film and cried with laughter.

All these films have made a welcome respite from the cricket... I settled down, bated breath, to watch the first ball on the first day. Big Steve Harmison, tracing his run-up like he's about to rob a bank, ball in hand, nervous Australians, racing in and pow! Wide. So wide that it ends up not with a scrambling keeper but safely in Flintoff's hands in second slip. Second slip. Not first slip, but second. Martin Jenkins wrote that it was probably for the best that Flintoff got the ball as soon as possible, but that wasn't really what I had in mind. I watched the entire first day. I watched most of the second day. I watched Strauss top-edge and Cookie caught at slip. I couldn't watch the hatrick ball. I had to go back out to Muttonbird Island and listen to the first Weezer album. Couldn't take it any more. I invest so much faith in them and every time they let me down. No more cricket for me this winter - even in the unlikely event that we start to win a session or take a wicket. I should have known better. Fortunately,there have been no Australians around to gloat; the Germans asked me to explain the rules but I've fallen into that trap too many times and I bluntly refused. They started to get shirty with me, argumentative and resentful; I had to escape through an open window before things got out of hand.

I'm now at a loose end in Sydney. I've walked dozens of kilometres in the last two days doing touristy things and there is little left to do for free. My hostel is always full but never busy, and the rooftop terrace is the only safe place.

The view from the hostel roof

I'm writing quite a lot. In the dusk, fat furry bats scud between the highrise towers. Kings Cross is quite seedy and smells like Soho. I saw a woman carrying a little dog wrapped up in tartan. An old man was walking slowly because he deliberately, precisely placed his stick on the grimy cross between the paving slabs before taking his next step. There are sullen Chinese girls in baseball caps. Later, I see the woman again in a cafe by the road. Her tiny dog is trying to look dignified while sitting on his tartan blanket, laid out neatly on the pavement.

...and a quick postscript: I went to the Qantas office to work out precisely what I can do with my return ticket, and everything they told me in Brisbane was a horrible lie. I dealt with an absolute monster called Mandy. I didn't get a smile out of her until I left, and then, looking back over my shoulder, I realised that she had filed her teeth into points. One of the few maxims I have any time for is 'necessity is the mother of invention' (just look what happened to Red Dwarf when they could afford computer graphics), and having my options restricted by Mandy Khan actually brought me to realise that is both cheaper and easier for me to go to New Zealand first, in the New Year, then come back to Australia to impose on Jem and Joan on the west coast, and finally fly out from Perth...

I also swapped Bruce Chatwin's 'What Am I Doing Here' and a collection of Christopher Landon's novels - 'Ice Cold In Alex' was excellent stuff; 'Dead Men Rise Up Never' and 'Shadow Of Time' much more pedestrian - for 'Underworld' by Don DeLillo. It's a behemoth of a book which I've started three times and always given up on with the excuse that I had better things to do with my life. Now, however, I don't.

Tomorrow I book my NZ flights...

...and a second postscript: no, I don't. It is too close to Christmas and I have left it all too late. The return ticket costs a fortune that I can't afford to spend. I will do some rapid thinking over much coffee.

Check out the new links - rediscovered when sweeping out my inbox. Baker supplied Death Clock - Bob Porter discovered Disappointment.com, which is the blog Steph has waited her whole life for. The new explorers, the conquistadors pre-space exploration will all stake their claims on the internet. Archaeology is dying, a finite science - the internet is all that is left. We make our own archaeology from here on down.

22 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I remember an outdoor climbing wall nestling in among the fast food and souvenir outlets at Darling Harbour - but it may be a bit public?
Sad about the cricket but they're saying this morning that M.V. might be fit enough to be included in the squad.
Still think your writing's good - you're developing a fan club!
Enjoy the rest of that place
x

12:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear depressed, Have just seen the blow up pic of the Kangaroo Kristmas Nativity Scene. You're right , it just so wrong, i can see them in flames. HST

10:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha! The cricket! What a wonderful game - if you are Australian. Can't wait for the Adelaide match.

The 3rd test is in Perth (I think). Maybe you should be over here for that one!

The original Sly.

10:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course, the mistake you seem to have made is believing, even for a little while, that this series wasn't going to be a depressing volley of rout upon rout.
A deafening cacophony of silent disappointment, to put it in long, juxtaposed words that you seem to cherish so much.
Such a foolishly misled task has not been undertaken since General Custer said "It's only a couple of Indians, we'll be back by lunch."

In short, it was doomed from the start and England won't win a single test.

12:47 AM  
Blogger real sly shady said...

I don't know if it's true, but I heard the famous last words from some US Cavalry general were "What?! Stand down? Don't be ridiculous, soldier! From that distance they couldn't hit an eleph-"

If it only it was true.

And your phrase makes no sense.

2:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MV went out for a duck yesturday. We should never be allowed to play in the sunshine, our delicate talent isn't up to it. It dissolves in heat almost as if it never existed at all. Odd that.

4:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Listen, you back-pack wearing, cliff climbing, stubble sporting, city hopping, outback avoiding flip-flop monkey - I don't have to justify my phrases to you, or anybody! I'll ramble without sense as i please.

You want a real comment? Then listen good Barbara, because here's the inside scoop. You don't like people or cities. You're famous for not liking them. However, you're on the biggest island in the world and so far have not gone to one place that isn't full of tourists - how about you go on a trek somewhere, really test yourself? You never know, you might like it.

5:19 AM  
Blogger real sly shady said...

It's not an island, Mary. It's a continent. The biggest island in the world is Greenland, off the top of my head. I've been to lots of places without tourists. And I don't fancy dragging all 20k of my rucksack through snake infested scrub at 40oC. Those are all good reasons why you talk no good sense, you no good sense talker you.

I might enable comment moderation.

And backpack doesn't have a hyphen.

2:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like it, thank you. :)


louis vuitton replica purses

how to get cash advance from your paycheck

fast loan payday quick
loan personal quick

no fax payday cash advance

advance advance cash loan loan paycheck payday

advance cash from loan online payday quick today

advance lender loan payday

emergency fax loan no no payday teletrack

home equity loan calculation

free credit report and free credit score

Bye!

9:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Surprise, Bumcheek! Australia is a country, Oceania (including Australia, Tasmania, New Zealand and New Guinea etc) is the continent. The dictionary definition of an island is "a land mass completely surrounded by water which is smaller than a continent" - Thereby defining the coutry of Australia, as an island.

Eat my logic, buffoon. Love my logic. Wear it.

PS: I concede that backpack does in fact, not have a hyphen.

1:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You two brothers are hopeless pedants, and i have had the double misfortune of meeting both of you. I think you need to involve Blue in this to really ramp up the pedantry to hitherto unimaginable levels... away i've got to go and check out those exciting links above to 'louis vuitton replica purses ' ......last thing. M.V. eh? didn't he do well. he's really ruffled the ozzies. HST

8:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What kind of tragic rat bastard, trawls random blogs posting adverts for piss poor goods that ZERO people will look at. Is this is some kind of war of attrition. If i wanted to any of the garbage services on offer here, i'd find them myself. Advertisers / marketeers should do everyone a favour a make like lemmings or go and actually earn some cash instead of bugging the tits off everyone else. And this isn't even my frikkin' blog. Yours cordially. HST

1:39 PM  
Blogger real sly shady said...

I was going to delete the trashy sales ads, but I'm not sure I can after that outburst. Well done, indeed.

Tim - my pedontry was based on your wildly innacurate claims (you missed by about 15,000 miles, I think) that Australia was the biggest island in the world. Your pedontry is staked on a semantic nuance that Australia is an island - and while it may not cover the entire continent of Australasia (or Oceania, if you prefer), it sure as hell accounts for most of it - certainly to the extent that it is a land mass and not an island. You have taken the dictionary definition far too literally, and you have a funny haircut.

2:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least i HAVE a haircut, hippy...

12:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS: (And I quote)
"Australia, (7,617.930 sq km) is widely considered part of a continental landmass, but without doubt it is the largest island on the planet, and when combined with Oceania, the smallest continent on Earth."
For the record, Greenland is a mere 2,175,600 sq km.

Check, and mate.

12:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PPS:
And another thing! How do you suggest one DOES take the information in a dictionary if NOT literally?
Are you suggesting that those 'definitions' are open to artistic interpretation?

12:55 AM  
Blogger real sly shady said...

Yeah? So what? I can quote back at you till the cows come to shit, son. I did this for three entire years at Lancaster. There is more, but one will do to call a truce and forget this whole ugly business.

"In geology, Australia (also called Australia-New Guinea, Sahul, Meganesia, Greater Australia or Australinea) is a continent comprising (in order of size) the Australian mainland, New Guinea, Tasmania, and intervening islands, all of which sit on the same continental shelf.

Geologically the continent extends to the edge of the continental shelf, so the now-separate lands can still be considered a continent. Due to the spread of flora and fauna across the single Pleistocene landmass, the separate lands have a related biota."

And my comments about taking the dictionary literally were intended more in the "Oh, and if James said to jump off a cliff you'd do that too, would you?" vein.

My haircuts are a hell of a lot cheaper than yours, scumball.

3:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A: Only losers ask for a truce. They sense defeat and hope they can salvage some pride.

B: Your quote proves that Australia is only part of the continent. Now see point A and think about it relates to your position.

C: I admit, your haircuts are cheaper. In the same way, a pushbike is cheaper than an Aston Martin. They both have seats and wheels, and will both get you from A to B - but given the choice, more people would opt for the Aston.

I await your rebuttle, which i imagine will have some overly complex reason proving that you haven't lost at all. It will be flawed.

5:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey boys - enough!
Why don't you ask The Original Sly about Australia - he's lived there for enough years to know - apart from being a smart guy anyway!

What about some more photos?

6:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

fine. i agree this has gone on long enough.

On a lighter note, would be interested to see more photos if you've got 'em.

8:00 AM  
Blogger real sly shady said...

Flawed? Alright then, Dictionary Boy. Put this in your pipe and smoke it:

"Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.0.1) - Cite This Source

Aus‧tral‧ia  /ɔˈstreɪlyə/ Pronunciation[aw-streyl-yuh] –noun
1. a continent SE of Asia, between the Indian and the Pacific oceans. 18,438,824; 2,948,366 sq. mi. (7,636,270 sq. km)."

I was going to post more dictionary entries but then I discovered that they were pretty much all the same. You want the literal definition, you got it.

There will be no photos. Facilities are impossible and slow.

2:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

adult free dating web site

8:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home