Friday, December 01, 2006

Balls

Six men in Italian football shirts are playing keepy-ups in a narrow alley. The one with big curly hair loses control and the ball rattles against the metal chairs outside the cafe.

A woman crosses the road without looking. In her left hand she carries a cardboard cup full of steaming coffee, and in her right she holds a pastry. She wears a shawl that totally covers her shoulders. She has a fake third arm in a green plastercast slung around her neck.

I pass two builders on the Darlinghurst Road, their workboots white with plaster. The one with dark eyes has a dense beard, but it will never be thick enough to fully disguise the Nazi 'SS' tattoo on his neck.

Sitting in a doorway outside Kings Cross station, an old man with an immaculate dinner jacket sucks on a roll-up, one leg bent, the other spilling onto the pavement. His hair is thin, and white, and gelled up in the manner of Frank Sinatra.

In a successful effort to save money I have done virtually nothing in the last three days but read and write and drink gallons of free coffee. I've only managed about thirty pages of 'Underworld' but all of 'Kiss The Girls', ''48', 'With No One As Witness' and 200 pages of Jasper Fforde's 'The Fourth Bear' which I bought about three hours ago. I have also bought some brightly coloured juggling balls for $5.50. There has been a lot of thunder and a little rain and I turned Amon Tobin up very very very loud. Rhino Jockey!



Sydney sunset...

PS. A moment of peculiar conversation: I was just about to go up the stairs to the roof terrace with a cup of tea when I was accosted by the elderly housekeeper. She looks fierce. "In my country," she says sternly, "you cannot do this. You get shot." She puts a finger to her head in the style of Travis Bickle and flexes her thumb several times. I am a little startled by this change in her behaviour. Any contact with her prior to this moment was limited to smiles and friendly "Good mornings". What have I done wrong? How have I upset her? What would get me shot? Not the cup of tea, surely... I've already drunk a dozen cups on the roof. She gestures angrily at my pocket. My iPod? Holy shit! She must know about the Bon Jovi! Who told her? How did she find out?! Then I realise she is pointing at my shorts, those scabby camouflage cut-offs I wear nonstop between June and October. "They take you from the road, they take you into the jungle, and-" the ominous thumb flexes again in slow motion, a vigilante hammer crashing down upon the puny scales of justice. She stares at me, the hoover pack strapped to her back, electrical cable trailing down the hall, a domestic Ghostbuster.

I nod politely. I've been nodding politely for a minute now, edging for the stairs. What's gone wrong? Nodding politely has always worked for me in the past. Why won't she let me be?

It turns out she's from Ecuador.

16 Comments:

Blogger real sly shady said...

Of course if I start to support them now it will all begin to fall to pieces. Best I catch the headlines on the radio and sit outside instead. You been climbing? There's still a bouldering mat in my garage for anyone who will take care of it till I'm back.

167 pages of 'Underworld'! Another fifty or so and I'll have caught up with where I dropped it last time.

1:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, the mat's in the attic now - we thought the ambient temperature would be better for it there!

Fingers crossed for the second test - a draw's better than a loss

3:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find myself in an enviable position. If England win, I can instantly revert to my latent, well-hidden pride at being English. If Australia can match England's heroic efforts and find a draw or a win - well, I've been Australian since I was 8 years old. You see - duplicity has its merits!

The original cousin Sly.

4:08 PM  
Blogger real sly shady said...

You might need to go and see a doctor, Jeremy. It can't be good for you to sit on a fence for five days...

8:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually it is strangely satisfying. Might still need some kind of doctor though.

The original Sly

8:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Should i support or should i be pessimistic? I still can't make my mind up either.

Let me tell you a story.
I listened to the radio with unspeakable joy (amid the undescribable surprise) as Scotland went 10-0 up against the Aussies in the recent test at Murrayfield; only to return an hour later, convinced I'd be hearing the good news that against all probability we've put a record amount of points past them - whereupon I was dismayed at finding out we were 30-10 down.

You see, getting your hopes up is dangerous, and realistically can only ever disappoint you.

Lucky I'm almost half Australian.

12:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you know something I don't?, Tim?

3:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know many things you don't.

Fortunately, the same can be said about you knowing things that i don't, so we're all winners really.

8:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Australia is looking very good again with England's wickets dropping like flies. I'm feeling decidedly Australian today. Still, never know what is to come do we?

Jeremy (Sly).

5:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

England had to throw it away, didn't they? Simon, clearly you have been watching the cricket. Stop it.

Still, could have seen it coming - good first innings total, not bad with the ball - we were NEVER going to win that game.

Hey ho. Bring on the third test, let's see if we can be humiliated again.

12:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As should overly critical folk who were clearly rubbish at cricket in school.

Not that there's any relevance here or anything. Just saying.

5:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tim, I think it is likely that everyone would be naturally rubbish at cricket whilst at school if they lived in England. I can say that now that I have confirmed my status as Australian. This is despite the fact that I was rubbish at every sport ever attempted and was always one of the last to be picked for a team. I was still very English back then.

6:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now i am not prone to making massive sweeping generalisations, however we all know that australians are all either criminals or prostitutes. Australia was a fabulous penal destination for workshy, crimianlly minded, gifted sportsmen / women. The rest is history and i am deligthed to say that these days, Britain is completely crime free. Having suffered the ignominy of have such cads marry in to my fine family i can only imagine the rigours you must be enduring amidst all that savagery. Yours sympathetically. Lord Baketoun.

3:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why it was a good idea to give the criminals the island in the sun, and for us to stay next to France, I'll never know.

Those garlic eating surrender jockeys don't know how lucky they are.

9:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am NOT a criminal! Nor am i good at sports. I am, however, workshy. Hmmm. Maybe I am English after all.

There are rumours that a few French descendants live in Australia too. One even plays cricket (Phil Jacques)! Disgraceful.

Jeremy

4:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was in no way insinuating that all people who live in Australia are criminals. Merely that the ones WE put there were.

12:39 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home