Sunday, December 10, 2006

Quakers for World Peace

There was a demonstration earlier outside the Carrington Hotel. Women are standing around in combative poses, sheltered from the sun by rainbow umbrellas and hoisting high a fearsome six-foot banner insisting that 'Quakers for World Peace!!'. There are two of them.

They helped me realise what disturbs me about this place. Unless I've made a horrendous mistake - and no, you're right, it's not likely - then nobody in Katoomba ever blinks. Not the Quakers. Not the busker with his small head and wiry hair and eyes that are pale and have no pupil. Not the kids with sneers and piercings. Not the Buddhist monk in his orange robes, who seemed so confused. And certainly not the man advertising his classes in Chinese Swordsmanship... it's The Midwich Cuckoos. They patrol the streets without blinking, and duck with no purpose into shops where nothing is ever sold. Katoomba has all its business on the main, steep street. There is a shop called 'Electrical Furniture, & Bedding'. Mark the position of the comma and make of it what you will. I certainly have.

The place is a devil to walk around - much like Bristol, actually - but at least it's stretching my calves back into shape. I did the walk along the Federal Pass again, but decided to run it. In my flip-flops. There was much in the way of stubbed toes and elbowing of fat tourists. They have cheated the 900 Giant Stairs by taking the cable car and puffing their way along the forest floor.

Late on Monday I had booked a day of abseiling and canyoning with 'High'n'Wild'. That night the weather finally changed. After three days of scorching sun we were caught on the fringes of a distant overnight thunderstorm, and I could see the flickers of distant lightning on the horizon. By the next morning a shroud of mist had rolled in, thick and wet. It was the respite I had been waiting for. I turned up hungover and with anorak at the pick-up point and discovered, to my surprise, to be the only one on the course. The day before had eleven punters and the day after had seven - I just fluked it. The guide was a decent guy and we agreed to miss out the abseiling and spend the morning climbing on fantastic sandstone at Mt. Victoria. I did five climbs of 25 metres - a grade 10 which I could have done in carpet slippers, three 15s and a 16. None of it was very difficult but I'm out of shape. Miss my bouldering. This business with the ropes is all very well, but I miss the focus of Me VS. Gravity and remembering how to make your fingers work. After lunch we went to the Empress Canyon. Canyoning is gorgewalking, abseiling, swimming and scrambling in narrow winding gulleys shrouded with ferns and fallen branches. After an hour of wending a way through the cold waters the route finishes with a thirty-metre abseil down a waterfall and a bone-crunching trek back to the car. There are worse ways to spend $140 bucks.

This hostel is pretty good. Most of the travellers here are outdoors-type, and the lounge is full of weary people by evening time, tired out by hiking and climbing. We drink beer, and read, and play pool or boardgames. Two German lads went out into the drenching mist in their raincoats to play the giant chess in the garden. They chased a stalemate for forty minutes and the fog boils upwards under the lights. There is a cheery woman, I think from France - a divorcee, almost certainly - with a boyish haircut that suits her perfectly but she seems sad when she thinks no-one is looking. Belgians or Canadians with pimples. White girls who haven't worked out that white girls should never wear their hair in dreadlocks. An Australian is camping in the garden. He was told to wait two or three days for his visa to go and work in the movies in San Diego, and has now been waiting for two or three months.

A billboard on a church near the hostel has a picture of the bible and suggests that you 'Meet the author before you read the book'. I can spot at least two problems with this, but it is part of a bigger picture, a recurring trend in curious attempts by the churches of Australia to entice new followers: a hoarding in Townsville told me that 'God doesn't want shares in your life, just a controlling interest'. Hmmmm. The Father, the Son and the Vice-President. In Wollongong there was a poster of a brand new pair of boxer shorts and the question, emblazoned across them in bold type, was, 'Which would you prefer for Christmas?' Firstly, there was nothing offered in exchange against the underwear, and secondly - assuming that joining the Church was the alternative in mind - this is a very dangerous question when addressed to anyone whose wardrobe is as tattered as mine. Quite frankly, I need the pants.

I'm back in Sydney now, after another two hours on the train opposite a tubby girl in plaits who wouldn't stop farting. I've checked in to the YHA at Bondi Beach, and the fog has dissolved into thin sea haze. Tonight there is a BBQ on the roof and tomorrow I'll try and remember how to surf. This place has a decent computer - I've backdated some photos all the way to 'Tom Waits...', and for good measure, I've included below the very first picture I took in Australia, jetlagged sunrise 4am wide-awake from the seventeenth floor of the five-star Sydney Shangri-La, a shoddy self portrait and for my brother's delectation, the sand-surfing girl.







*******************************************************************

"Why won't you leave me be?"
"That's an interesting question, Lenny. The most common theories about supernatural appearances suggest that, when the incident cannot be attributed to individual psychosis, a ghostly manifestation is generated by worldly matters left incomplete. Revenge, you see, or unrequited love. The need for acknowledgement, and so forth."
"Mr Rosicky, why have you got a moustache?"
It was true. Mr Rosicky had grown a luxuriant walrus moustache since he had been dead.
"Well, why not? Didn't you know that hair keeps growing after you've died?"
There was a pause. Leonard studied the growth.
"You mean that," Leonard gestured accusingly at the dense moustache, "is an accident?"
Mr Rosicky became defensive.
"A man needs a hobby! Besides, don't you think it makes me look younger?"
"Well... you're dead, Mr Rosicky."

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Back to the great writing - I'm pleased to say!

1:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there honky tonk. Great pics. The giant prawn is just a South West Australian thing, in Coff's harbour there's a giant banana, and Bill Bryson refers to a bull with swinging balls.

See if Ali can offer you an address - we only have three days left to send you anything with any chance that it will arrive.

About the boredom and the cash starvation, what about reverting to Plan A and getting some work? Or is there nowhere you like well enough to stick around?

9:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the picture. Worth the wait I feel.

4:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

God im so jealous, you seem to be having much more fun there than in London.
Speaking of which - i finally left and went back to Bristol, land of pie and cider

7:01 AM  
Blogger real sly shady said...

I miss the cider. Australia has not adopted cider. And the pies here all all wrong; they have neither gristle nor super-heated insides, and the ketchup comes in a sensible ergonomic design that doesn't squirt all over your trousers.

I don't know about you guys, but I can't wait for the Ashes to start. When's the first Test match? We'll knock 'em senseless.

8:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WE Australians won the Ashes back! Great stuff but I feel a niggling little kernel of sadness. It seems the Pom in me has not yet been completely eliminated. God, how long does it take? I've been here since 1970 and still a part of me remains English. It truly must be possible to be both English and Australian. I must confess to wishing England had won at least two of the tests - just to make me feel more comfortable in my confused, dual nationality skin.

The real Sly

4:49 PM  
Blogger real sly shady said...

Alas, Jeremy, I agree that we should have won at least two of the tests. But reconciling England and Australia will be impossible until the day you admit, as a nation, that Marmite beats seven shades out of Vegemite. On that day, we can start talking. Maybe.

9:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As lovely a spread as Vegemite is, Marmite certainly has its merits and I would agree with you that it is far more wonderful than Vegemite. I even have an almost empty jar in my office drawer which Uncle Stephen Sylvester gave me on my pilgrimage to the UK.

Promite, however, is to "mites" as Ned Kelly is to a shoplifter.

If you ever make it to Perth, I might even let you taste my Promite.

A bit of trivia for you: did you know that Vegemite's original name was Pawill? The advertising slogan ran something like, "if Marmite then Pawill". They were advertising geniuses back then.

12:37 AM  
Blogger real sly shady said...

I like the 1910s advert for Billy Tea with a bushman talking to a kangaroo. The roo has a swag and a billy can. The bushman is smoking a pipe and says to the kangaroo, "Oh hello mate. I always thought you were only an advertisement."

Inspirational.

1:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So. The Aussies have won, with consumate ease. It seemed predictable enough but i still feel disappointed that we didn't put up more of a fight.

As frustrating as a couple of dodgy decisions were (notably Strauss - he was given out incredibly dubiously a total of 3 times, all by the same umpire), I reckon we were fairly outplayed and deserved to lose. In the spirit of sportsmanship; Well done Australia.

You complete and utter bastards.

4:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very sporting of you Tim. You could always follow my lead and declare yourself non-English due to a lengthy stay in a different country. Do the Scots play cricket?

Sly

11:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually they do - but they're classed as a county!
There's not a huge selection of talent.

4:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

By the way, who's Lenny and Mr Rosicky? Did you write that piece or is it from some really well known cult classic which I've never heard of?

Getting close to Chrissy so I hope you've met up with the Roses.

much love
x

12:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, Dexter of Chicago with the tiny little weener. Just as taking hormones will not make a man a woman, taking pills will never make you a man.

And blow up girlfriends don't care a hoot about your "reliability". Get your own blog!

I bet you can't even play cricket!

Sly

4:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said. Couldn't agree more!

3:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

where has your blog identity & photo gone?

3:57 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home