Sunday, December 31, 2006

"...poker chips..."

The hostel looks like a war zone this morning. An explosion in a badly-managed brewery. There are ribbons of paper towels strewn and pasted upon every surface. Broken and intact bottles are stacked on patio tiles slick with spilt beer and spirits. They ran out of mugs and started drinking from saucepans - they ran out of saucepans and drank Goon straight from the inner plastic bags. This is known as 'Spanking the Goon'. The plates have been smashed, the toilets flooded and the fridges ransacked. Something exploded in a microwave. Cigarette butts are stick to the walls upon which they were extinguished hours ago. There are one or two dazed survivors crouched over coffee cups, trembling hands, trying to spark lighters that will never work again. There is - I am not making this up - someone in the car park playing mournful scales on a harmonica as though he has survived another night in the trenches... put that light out, Private...

About six o'clock last night I went for a swim at Byron Bay main beach. The clouds had drawn over and the beach was almost deserted. The water is warmer than the air and the waves are thin and flat. I showered, went round to the YHA to have a drink with Louis from Quebec. Two Brazilian girls from his room were drinking champagne from plastic pint glasses; class is global. I went back to my backpackers and heated up yesterday's bolognese - had a couple of beers with Martin and Marlina - a samba band with much in the way of headgear and facepaint stormed by the back gate trailed by a procession of hippies protesting everything from overfishing to the evils of holiday lets. I danced along with them for a while and the policemen took my beer away. I bumped into Brook and Ina from my dorm and danced the samba with them for a while, then went back to the hostel to fill a thermos with rum and coke - Havana Club, naturally - and grab my hipflask. An African band took over from the samba and the hippies, then a reggae band. The singer has a fat head. Marijuana coils in the air, bottles turning ankles underfoot, coffee, kids with fairy wings, digeridoo that hum and spin and all drone behind my ear... the bells, a woman in a top hat counts down from "10 - 9 - 8"... sporadic fireworks, whooping and yelling, hugging of strangers. This year must be better than the last - I have said that every year for the last six years. Brook and I decide that we're going to be amongst the first to swim in the Southern Pacific in 2007 - skinny dipping at ten past midnight, she's afraid of sharks. There are no sharks in Yorkshire and she's convinced they hunt at night. The tide is coming in and our clothes are soaked. We change at the hostel and go back to the beach to rescue Ina from a mob of rabid Canadians with greasy skin and shaking with the cold sweats. Brook swallowed too much sea water. She starts vomiting in the public toilets. Ina and I cajole her back to the hostel where she locks herself in the shower and pukes bile into the plughole. We get the door open and make her drink water. I've sobered up after barely the first hour of sitting under the shower but Brook keeps mewling something about sleeping under a waterfall. Dealing with drunk people is probably good practice for children. They are equally sly, stubborn and untroubled by reason. I get to bed about three.

This is 2007. It's funny how the days go by - "ticked off on calenders, counted down like poker chips staked against birthdays, anniversaries, new jobs, holidays..." The last days of 2006 were a lot better than the few hundred that went before them. From the Bondi Beachouse I wound up in the A.C.T. caving with my cousins on Christmas Eve and being savaged by mosquitoes. Christmas Day was just as odd - there were phonecalls and presents and a lengthy game of Jenga in which Ali introduced me to the 'J-move', where any layer that has two blocks on the sides seperated by a central gap can still be used; firmly slide one of the edge pieces into the gap in the middle and then remove the now-superfluous block from the other side. It's tricky but I've seen it done... fortunately someone else spilt the tower before I had to test it for myself. We went for a Christmas Day walk in the Orora Valley that shares the dual distinctions of being both home to the most populous kangaroo population and the coldest mean temperature in Australia. You should see the 'roos scatter before a rugby ball. They can't play at all.

At 6am on Boxing Day cousin Ali and I went climbing at Baroomba, a granite crag in the A.C.T.. It's a thigh-crunching trek to the top of the climb, where we dropped off our bags and jam sandwiches and scrambled down the side of the cliff. This was my first multi-pitch 'trad' climb, and this is how it works: Ali climbs first with a harness full of safety gear. He places these stoppers into cracks in the rock and then clips his rope into them before climbing onward and upward. I belay him from underneath, paying out the rope as he climbs. After thirty or so metres (roughly one 'pitch') he ties himself into the rock and I climb up as he belays from above, collecting the safety gear as I go. When I reach the same safety point, I give him his gear back and the process is repeated until we hit the top. We did two climbs run together - 'Denethor' into 'Ivory Coast' - four pitches totalling 120 metres of granite slab climbing. The hardest, crux move is at the start of the first pitch; the second pitch is an easy scramble; the third pitch begins with a revolting crack climb that bloodied the mosquito bites on the back of my hands; and the fourth pitch is a monster. I'd said on the first pitch that I didn't like the hollow noises made by the layered slabs of granite - it sounds as though they will detach at any moment and slide you down the cliff, complete with the safety gear. When I said this, Ali just chuckled to himself. On the fourth pitch, 'Ivory Coast', I found out why. It starts with a tricky traverse to reach the bottom of a huge flake, a massive shield of this layered stuff. It's about ten metres of really good climbing up this edge as the booms, knocks and creaks vibrate and echo obscenely throughout the entire layer. It was only when we reached the top that Ali told me about the old man he'd met earlier in the year:
"What did you climb?" asked the man.
"'Ivory Coast'," says Ali.
"Is that still there?" replies the man, startled. "I thought that fell off years ago."

Jam sandwiches have never tasted so good.

Anna's friend Chi taught us how roll our own sushi for lunch - the sticky rice seems the tricky part but I'm rapidly getting hooked on sushi and I need to learn to how make it. And oh, but so many happy moments thrown out by the difficulties and differences in English and Japanese. At one point Chi asked me, "Simon, do you have a-" and wiggled her little finger at me. When almost everyone had finished crying with laughter we established that the gesture in Japanese means 'girlfriend', and not quite how we understand it in the UK. Culture shock? You have no idea.

Cousins and fiances and friends disappeared on the 28th and I stayed overnight in the Canberra YHA. In a double whammy of bad things, I left a CD full of photos in an internet cafe (pictures of Christmas and climbing to follow when Ali has sent me a replacement!) and had my iPod stolen from the hostel. They've been over the CCTV with no luck. My travel insurance only pays $100 per item with a $50 excess, so that's not good at all. No more Mogwai, no more Clap Your Hands Say Yeah!, no more Arcade Fire, no more Sleater-Kinney, no more Arab Strap. I am not pleased. There's always Triple J - taking a radio with you is the best of whatever poor advice I could offer anyone else on the move. The flight from Sydney to Byron was uneventful - on the bus between airport and town three women in front of me were muttering and whispering important things about the woman sitting in the front of the bus, who seems to have been a Big Brother winner or something else I don't care about.

Since arriving in Byron I've finished 'Flashman's Lady' by George MacDonald Fraser (author of the excellent MacAuslan saga), 'Ice Station Zebra' by Alistair Maclean (for the fifth time), and a repeat of 'Lunar Park' by Bret Easton Ellis which I stole from the Bondi hostel and is, on the second reading, better written, incredibly sadder and much more frightening than I found it the first time round. It is a genuinely disturbing novel. So then I swapped it for 'Generation X' by Douglas Coupland but first I have to finish James Kelman 'You Have To Be Careful In The Land Of The Free'. I put this up before but no-one acknowledged it and it still makes me laugh, so - how many James Kelmans does it take to change a lightbulb? Three. It takes three James Kelmans to change a lightbulb. To change a lightbulb, it takes three James Kelmans.

I made that up.

Laugh, you Philistines!

Right, that's it. I've got better things to do than hang around here having my best made up joke ignored because only Dan and Iain and Bob know who James Kelman is and they didn't find it funny the first time anyway.

I somehow thought that this would make an amusing picture. I was dreadfully, horribly mistaken. This was dubbed 'Brokeback Simon' and I was called Ennis for the next three days. There's more Christmas pictures if you check cousin Anna's blog in my Links.

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Real bummer about your i-pod. I hope the fink who took it doesn't like your music. Assuming you are going to claim, check the rules - the insurance company has almost certainly done everything it can to make it impossible to get anything back. 'Claims can only be accepted on odd dates in even years or even dates in odd years except from Australia where other rules apply'.

How did you get from Canberra to Byron Bay? 'With one bound, he was free'. Stay cool, and a happy new year from

Dad

12:12 AM  
Blogger real sly shady said...

I won't claim. It's not worth the hassle. Fink is entirely right.

Took the bus from ACT to Sydney airport, ate a terrible breakfast and drank coffee until check-in opened, flew from Sydney to Ballina-Byron. Haven't worked out my (next) sector South to Coffs then Sydney airport again.

1:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi - what can I say? So, so sorry about your iPod.

Still, your writing hasn't faltered!

Have you considered flying direct to Perth from Coffs? (Actually you go via Sydney but you can do it 'direct' with no hostel or other travel costs). Might save some dosh?

There should be a small package waiting for you at Jem & Joan's.

We're about to go for a walk with Henry and about 40 other people! Should be interesting.
Mogs is really slowing up so we'll probably make the last visit to the vet next week.
Have booked a black female version of Digby who will be ready in March - I'm going to call her Lulu!

Happy New Year anyway - a decent break is bound to come. God knows, you deserve it!

much love
x

2:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It goes without saying - sorry bout the iPod. Still - i find it no coincidence that you get robbed so often. You're some kind of theft-magnet. You're not touching my TV again, lest you jinx it.

And that picture? You massive massive gay.

PS: Happy New Year

PPS: ...Nothing.

6:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shame about the i-pod. Still, imagine the looks on the fink's face when he listens to what you say you had on it!

No package received yet but we are living in the most remote capital city in the world.

I went to school with a girl called Penelope Ennis. I'm not joking.

Fact: Sydney is known as the gay capital of the world. Perth is not - I suggest you let someone steal your hat before heading over here.

If you like caving, there is a cave down south that is linked to another cave by a 2 to 3 feet high passage that runs for over 1 kilometre. Should be right up your alley (so to speak).

Hope everyone had a great hogmany!

Jeremy

3:29 PM  
Blogger real sly shady said...

I hate both of you... especially you, Tim, and you, Jeremy. That photo is conspiracy. I don't even own an artfully tattered straw cowboy hat.

"Lulu"?!

Henry, Digby, and Lulu. Steph Anderson will be in raptures.

4:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Careful Tim. "They" can be very sensitive.

Its okay, Simon. You CAN wear your hat in Perth (just not if we go out anywhere).

Jeremy

8:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I suspect that after a few tracks on your ipod the fink will have quietly returned it to your hostel room. If youd only hung around you could have collected it again. Really good to hear from you man, and all the best for 2000 plus 7.

5:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mike just put me on to your blog, i'm loving the writing. we are off climbing this eve (indoors, boo). when you get back i expect to see you leading nevis. when is your return? i'm off to south america from march till may and shall return the climbing goddess or with many broken bones.
miriam x

8:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does anyone wish to use this forum to discuss the cricket?

Just wondering....

Sly

7:21 PM  
Blogger real sly shady said...

Well, I'm not one for gloating, but personally I think that 5-0 is a great result for English cricket. I mean, losing one or two games might have been expected against the Australians, but for England to sweep to a series whitewash with such aplomb - well! Five resounding victories for England. Five crushing defeats for the Australians. It is almost too good to be true!

9:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No other people could lose with such style, such finesse. The French would be useless at it.

10:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who is Steph Anderson?

And what is this 'cricket' game you're all talking about?

x

1:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Year Sly!

I got your message on the answerphone but was up in the north west with the other jaded Invernesians, so mobile reception was intermittent at best.

Get to a landline soon Commander.

Niccolò Machiavelli

8:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Forgot to mention that you also missed a great Heathmount fight between Santa and an Elf. There are no images of the incident however.

Lord Wilmore

8:50 AM  
Blogger real sly shady said...

Are 'Santa' and 'Elf' new code names for, say, Ross Barndad and Graeme Marshall?

4:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They are now.

Abbé Busoni.

1:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Irritatingly, I started predicting a whitewash many months before the Ashes started. I have witnesses to back this up.

5:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really great blog very informative re 888.com 888.com mail more no nomoremail. In a simliar vain I would definitely recommend http://www.bargainplace.co.uk for **gaming sites** or **betting sites**. Also for people who bet on football matches you can check the latest soccer fixtures, latest scores/scorers/tables from around the world at **http://www.freepremiership.com**. **http://www.freepremiership.com** also has live football/soccer streams for games on the internet and other football links.

5:22 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home