Monday, February 05, 2007

Today is the Thursday of the rest of your life

"Have fun," grins Neil. "Mind the sharks."
"Har-har," I sneer.
"We will," says Inday.
"What?!"
"Bull sharks," she says casually. "Two of them sighted in the river."
"They're quite small, aren't they?"
"Three or four metres, something like that."
"But they wouldn't attack us, right?"
"Second most aggressive shark, after the tiger shark."
"Aww, come on. They won't like large splashes."
"They're attracted to large splashes."
"But not up river. Fresh water."
"It's a tidal river. They don't feed until evening."
I look at my watch. "It's six o'clock."
"Yeah, around then."

Cliff-jumping is fun. So yeah, I'm staying in Perth. I was having several second thoughts about leaving... then found out it was free to change the date of my ticket after all... so I'll be here a little longer. A lot longer. I like it here. I like the people, I like working in the orchard, and the weather is almost passable once the sun has set. I'm climbing at least once a week again and feeling good about it (managed that running-jumping climb from last week - not sure how). The next thing to do is find a job: I've sent some begging letters to a camera company, which was quite disheartening - I thought I'd left the desperate cold-calling behind me, but I'd rather do camera work than bar work. Time will probably make that decision for me.

Jeremy works for Legal Aid, a government body that provides legal support for those who need it. He sent me this article the other day. It's an astounding first in Australian law:

"SYDNEY(AAP) - A seven-year-old boy was at the center of a Parramatta, NSW courtroom drama yesterday when he challenged a court ruling over who should have custody of him. The boy has a history of being beaten by his parents and the judge initially awarded custody to his aunt, in keeping with child custody law and regulations requiring that family unity be maintained to the best degree possible.

The boy surprised the court when he proclaimed that his aunt beat him more than his parents and he adamantly refused to live with her. When the judge then suggested that he live with his grandparents, the boy cried out that they had also beaten him on occasion. After considering the remainder of the immediate family and learning that domestic violence was apparently a way of life among them, the judge took the unprecedented step of allowing the boy himself to propose who should have custody of him.

After two recesses to check legal references and confer with child welfare officials, the judge granted temporary custody to the English Cricket Team, whom the boy firmly believes are incapable of beating anyone."

All the sweeter after thrashing Australia last week. But we'll probably lose to the Kiwis today, which will save us a drubbing in the final. Funny thing, though - last week, in my infinite wisdom, I was ranting to Jeremy that the best thing the ECB could do now would be to fill the squad with young players who could get blooded - and bloodied - at international level. At least they might be hungry to win a game... then Bhopra, Nixon, Loye, Joyce, and Plunkett come out and actually play cricket. And win or lose, a contest is all we've really wanted since November.

If anyone is planning on applying to the BBC for a job, my advice is to be extremely sarcastic on the application form and also drink as much as possible while writing it.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why the BBC? What happened (or not)?

Anyway, Sims, I would stay in Perth too, given half a chance - it's a lovely town. (And I do mean the Australian version - not the grey, cold and wet one just south of home)!
Good luck with the job hunting - and let us know if you need anything.

loadsa love
x

2:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great to have a chat with you this morning and catch up on all the itty bitty bits of news!

Hope the job hunting isn't too hard. Keep on keeping on!
and who ARE all these weird people who keep hi-jacking your comments pages - SUCH a REAL PAIN.

xxx

4:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I happen to be quite friendly with the Recruitment Director for BBC Worldwide - let me know if you want me to forward your CV on to him.

Finally, I have a position of moderate power...

5:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, WE beat the Kiwis yesterday but WE will beat the Poms in the finals.

The view is terrific from the fence!

For the record, just because Simon jumps off a cliff doesn't mean that I have to as well.

Tim, you are a man of many voices.

Jeremy

7:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do what I can.

12:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeez - that has got to be the most distateful "joke" I have heard in a long time. But not distateful in even a vaguely funny way. I'm disapoointed in you, Mr Sylvester.

10:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm obviously missing something here...am I?

2:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there 

Why do dogs eat their poop? One reason dogs eat their poop is because it just plain taste
good. Another reason is it could be a vitamin deficiency. One other reason for the poop
eating is that it is an instinctual behavior in the wild to eat the poop to keep other predators
from tracking their movements.

Some solutions for stopping poop eating are: You can put meat tenderizer on it.

What do you think?

By the way, I love that too!  How did you find that?  

See you soon! WonderGirl 




[color=#9ad][url=http://paid-for-taking-surveyvmhflehq.blogspot.com]how I make money with paid surveys[/url][/color]

3:10 PM  
Blogger real sly shady said...

You see, Mike, alcohol was - as usual - the answer to everything. While under the influence, I wrote that Hotel Babylon held the BBC guilty of propagating celebrity culture against their remit, and that anyone involved should hang their heads in shame. I actually used that phrase. Two more bull sharks have been sighted in the river. I don't know how they can tell the difference between these two bull sharks and the other two bull sharks. Does this recent sighting mean there are now four bull sharks in the Swan? Or still only two, who get about a bit? Who knows, aye.

10:22 PM  
Blogger real sly shady said...

Any thoughts on the poop-eater?

10:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the 'poop eater' writer must be very, very bored and lonely and sad to be spending time on such an issue; and having been a dog owner for at least 30 years I have to say that none of my dogs ate their poop - maybe because it possibly may taste so bad?

staying Anon for this one!

3:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And England have won the cricket in style. What more could you ask?

4:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Write something new, hippy. I think it's fair to say that after 10, the content of the comments starts to deteriorate.

12:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nah... he's either been on a bender because we won that final bit of cricket, or he's having a mare job-hunting or he's been eaten by a bull shark!

He'll have to write something new - or add some photos to prove us wrong!

4:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home